Thursday, December 01, 2005

My Buddy or "Why I hate the 80's"

"My buddy (my buddy), My buddy (my buddy)...Wherever I go, heeee's gonna go, My buddy (my buddy), My buddy (my buddy)...My buddy and me"

Don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about. Anyone mid-twenties or older should remember this little ditty. Don't lie...you're singing it right now in your head and smiling. Stupid 80's jingle. Not only is it annoying to get stuck in the head, but my wife and I had a silly argument over the exact wording last night. I said the above was correct, she said the middle line went "Wherever I go, heeee goes..." See what I mean by silly argument. We were laughing, but I KNEW I was right, so we Googled to find the words. Apparently no one else remembers the words exactly either as we found supporting evidence for both our versions. And don't think I forgot about the identically themed "Kid Sister."

Another thing, do you ever find yourself making references to older shows/commercials during the day? I'm not talking about last week's Lost episode, I'm talking about when, in the right circumstances, someone says "Hello" and you follow up with "I'm mister Ed." I actually do this somewhat regularly, just ask Ashley. Of course, I do it in a lower voice like they did at the beginning of the show. Odd thing is, I never even watched the show, I just remember the commercials and the opening credits.

Or when someone say's "I don't want to get up" and I feel the need to say "Cuz you're a Toys R Us kid?" (Ashley can support this too) I know that the line is "I don't want to grow up," but my brain still makes the connection. I actually have to catch myself so I don't say similar things sometimes. Stupid 80's.

Does anyone else have this type of problem? Am I alone in my madness?

18 Comments:

At 12/01/2005 3:34 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

As much as I would LOVE to say you're alone in your madness, I have to confess that I do things like this ALL the time. Usually I keep it to myself, unless I'm w/someone I know will get the reference.

And I'm gonna have to agree with Ashley. It's "wherever I go, he goes."

 
At 12/01/2005 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,
She's more right than you were.
Kimberly Young =}

 
At 12/01/2005 4:40 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Funny how all the girls are agreeing with Ash...but I'd like to remind you all that we found evidence for BOTH versions, which means I'm not completely off my rocker.

 
At 12/01/2005 5:24 PM, Blogger Jeff Proctor said...

it is DEFINITELY "wherever I go, he goes".

 
At 12/01/2005 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Jeff. I have to admit that I remember both. When I have the song stuck in my head, it has Ashley's lyrics but, I do recall one set of ads that had the lyrics you remember. So, I think you're both right, sort of. My informal pole of the other children of the 80's around me remember the "wherever I go, he goes." though.

 
At 12/01/2005 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, that's what I get for not reading the entire post before commenting. I, too, have that problem (of hearing things similar to a song / jingle / saying then having to complete it). I think it comes from hearing too many parodies as a child, and now being married to the Kind of Puns. So, when I hear something that remotely (and sometimes very tangentially) reminds me of something else, I just have to go there, you know??? :) Guess that's why I was known at my old school for the silly songs I'd make with the kids names . . .

 
At 12/01/2005 8:29 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I'm with Ash! When I read your opeining lines before getting ahead, I instantly thought, "Oh, Jeff typed it wrong." :) Don't you love us correcting you??!!

 
At 12/02/2005 8:17 AM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

Sorry dude, I gotta go with Ashley.

Yeah, I make references to obscure stuff all the time. It doesn't have to be 80's though. It could be 90's..

 
At 12/02/2005 9:47 AM, Blogger JavaBoy said...

Trust me. It's "Wherever I go, he goes..." I still remember the theme song to 82 TV shows from the '80s...

Plus, don't hate on the '80s...it takes Different Strokes to Rule the Wooooooorrrld. MMmmm....

 
At 12/02/2005 1:19 PM, Blogger Shayna Willis said...

You're all right and yet, so very wrong. "Whereever I go, he goes" is the verse and "whereever I go he's gonna go" is the bridge. So they're sung together in harmony, just like your marriage. :-)

 
At 12/02/2005 2:13 PM, Blogger JavaBoy said...

50 Cent (he's a rapper, Jeff) has a song called My Buddy...and it goes a little something like this...

My buddy, my buddy
Wherever I go, he go
My buddy, my buddy
You can run for your life I'll stick 'em out the window
My buddy, my buddy
I lay your a** out m********** is simple
Stay in your place I recommend or say hello to my little friend

that G Unit is so angry!!!

 
At 12/02/2005 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so HAPPY you guys haven't forgotten about me!!!!!

 
At 12/02/2005 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are indeed alone in your madness, and you need help.

 
At 12/03/2005 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jeff,

I could have gone my whole life and never thought of that stupid song. But nooo, you have to bring it up and now it's in my head and it won't come out and I'm going to end up in an asylum because of it.

Oh, and by the way Ashley's right

Ok back to cramming

 
At 12/04/2005 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what about me?????!??!???!?!

 
At 12/05/2005 1:41 PM, Blogger Leann said...

Mike Miller had it right. If we had all just said he was alone in his madness (even if it wasn't true) it would have been so much easier. :)

 
At 12/07/2005 3:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing the technology we have nowadays. We now have devices that sit right in our homes that coan perform countless operations and calculations faster than the human eye can blink. The greatest minds in the history of humanity would doubtless be boggled by the devices we use every day to talk about irritating advertisements from our childhoods.
(And by the way, the "he goes" part is first, then "he's gonna go" is used right before it goes into the "Kid Sister" portion of the ad.)

Tom

 
At 4/05/2006 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well even though I appear to be completely alone. I remember the jingle going:

My buddy....my buddy....wherever I go, "you're" gonna go. And then I remember the almost identical Kid Sister, Kid Sister jingle right after. But what do I know I only watched tv all the time as a kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home