Thursday, January 05, 2006

Help with Sinuses

So it's been what, two weeks since my last post? Of course, that's to be expected over the holidays. Ash and I had a good vacation visiting HER parents and being visited by MY parents. All in all things went very well and, in addition to hanging out with family, we received/gave some cool gifts (I got THIS multifunction, water-powered clock for my dad - very neat and works surprising well).

Ash's brother also introduced me to a nice, tremendously helpful device called a "neti pot." I just know you're wondering what this is. Basically it's a nasal irrigation product that flushes your sinuses of all the pollution, allergens, pollen, dust, etc. that builds up and helps cause illnesses. By flushing your sinuses you allow your nose to do it's secondary job more effectively - keep the bad stuff out. It also has the added benefit of relieving sinus headaches and congestion. The interesting thing is, it's been around for a LONG time (several thousand years) and is used by many yoga enthusiasts.

Ash's brother swears by this product, and after about a week of using one, so do I. He has had chronic sinus infections twice a year (spring and fall) for the last several years. This year he didn't have the fall infection. He's been using the neti pot for about 6 months and gives it all the credit. I can personally testify that the neti pot allows me to breathe easier and has relieved the need for nasal decongestants. Plus my sinuses aren't drying up and causing a bloody nose during this dry winter period.

I HIGHLY recommend trying out a neti pot. You just pour in some warm water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt (non-iodized, no caking-agent sea salt) and you're good to go. They even sell them at Whole Foods in the medicine section (at least they did in Dallas). The salt you can pick up in just about any grocery store (I suggest "Bob's Red Mill Sea Salt" that I picked up at Shoppers) for less than any over-the-counter drug (about $2.50 for a 2 pound bag - which should last for several months of daily use). I also suggest initially using the neti pot in the shower for two reasons: an abundant supply of warm water, and it may be a little messy the first couple of times. But you'll feel better.

For more information here are a few links to read about the process. For a laugh, watch the instructional video, but FIRST READ the other material. It doesn't look pleasant, but I assure it's not bad at all. Just try it once or twice and you'll agree your sinuses have never felt better or clearer.

Material on why it's just good sinus health. As well as some backgound information to the neti pot.

Here is the Amazon listing. Read the comments and reviews.

A blog that talks about it in an amusing way. (though I disagree with his ending "head cold" comment - I think the neti pot would help a lot with a head cold and congestion)

The instructional video. It's really not anywhere NEAR as bad as it looks or the person posting implies. And it actually feels very good to get the bad stuff out. I promise. I'm sure the video will turn some people off, but you've got to know how it works. How else did you expect to irrigate your nasal passages?

14 Comments:

At 1/05/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My ENT actually recommended a netti pot a few years ago when I was having such bad sinus problems. You have to respect some one who could have said "yeah -- $15K sinus surgery will help" but instead sent me home with a recommendation for a $15 ancient remedy. :)

 
At 1/05/2006 2:21 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Did you try it out? If so, what did you think? Do you still use it?

 
At 1/05/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for the info. I get very congested, leading to bad sinus infections, if I don't take Zyrtec every day. I'm sick of it and searching for natural solutions.

 
At 1/05/2006 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I never got one. I was queen of the whole towel over your head over a sinkfull of hot water thing and chasing that with some saline mist -- which I guess is sort of like using a neti pot -- only in stages. :) But since I became pregnant I haven't had bad sinus problems (praise!!) so it hasn't been much of an issue these last 10 months or so . . . let's hope that the good sinus thing doesn't go away now that I'm not pregnant any more.

 
At 1/06/2006 3:18 PM, Blogger crazykarl7 said...

After watching the video I can safely say I will not be using a Neti pot. I'm glad I don't have lots of sinus problems.

 
At 1/06/2006 10:41 PM, Blogger Val said...

Wow, I've had a handfull of sinus infections in my life. My doctor (and nurse mother) always make me snort with salt water and it usually works. This looks a lot easier than snorting. I'll have to start recomending it to my patients and best friend who has just be told he needs the surgery.

 
At 1/08/2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually - wouldn't it be more fun to just go to some very warm island and swim in the salt water - not only good for your sinuses but for your entire psyche!!!! :)

kk

ps - netti pots WILL work - just don't over-do, as with any remedy - or you might do more harm than good. - (i.e. if you become addicted to it - then too much of the saline might decrease your level of "good" flora in your nasal passages, opening you up to new or uglier infections????

 
At 1/10/2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Lady Arden said...

Hiya! Welcome back, Happy New Year and all that jazz! I just returned from vacation myself too. I'll admit you scared me away from watching the videos. I'll just take your word for it that it works and be grateful I don't have sinus problems.

Cheers to you and Ash. Glad you survived the holidays and came out smiling.

 
At 1/16/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Jacque said...

Allright, Jeff. I watched it and I'm interested. I think I'll look around Oxford for one - the English are into all sorts of natural remedies. Oh...and thanks Karin for the caution. I can't really picture a saline addict, but I'll do my best not to become one.

 
At 11/08/2007 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know by using the netti pot with a good acidifies like optiflore from http://www.shaklee.net/thehealthyway/product/20639 taking 3 a day for 4 weeks and then 1 a day will do the job.

 
At 2/11/2008 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it has really helped my migraine headaches which are triggered by allergies. jean

 
At 4/23/2008 6:18 PM, Blogger bdaileyn2it said...

The Netti is great for allergies. I use along with my allergy meds. There is no pain- and it is easier than you think. I highly recommend that allergy sufferers try this.

 
At 12/12/2008 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Netti Pot helped me with my allergies. It really is quite comfortable once you get used to the idea.

 
At 10/27/2009 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

neti pot is great for my nose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home